INCI: Polyglyceryl-3 Dicitrate / Stearate
A cost-effective, easy to use O/W emulsifier based on completely natural and renewable raw materials that boasts numerous benefits:
· PEG free
· Suitable for a wide range of emulsions (lotions-creams)
· Produces stable emulsions between pH 3.5 – 8.5
*Approvals held with manufacturer
This easy to use emulsifier is perfect for producing a wide range of stable formulations, from lotions to creams and is particularly interesting when formulating natural and baby care products.
Usage Guidance: 1.5% - 3.%
Use approximately 3% with a typical oil phase of 20%-35%
(so in a 100g total formulation, use around 3g Eco+ in 20g – 35g oil phase)
Eco+ will build up viscosity but by using other ingredients to enhance consistency (such as cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, stearic acid or our Emulsifying Powder) will help adjust thickness as well as further improve stability and skin feel. Typical combinations may include:
2.5% - 4% Consistency enhancer
There isn’t always the need to enhance the consistency since Eco+ should be enough by itself (but this will be a matter of personal preference).
1.5% to 3% for lotions with a typical oil phase of 10%- 25% (so in a 100g total formulation, use around 1.5g to 3g Eco+ in 10g – 25g oil phase).
In either case, it is recommended that Xanthan Gum is used to help stabilise and optimise texture (0.2% for creams and 0.3% for lotions) and this should be added at around 40oC after homogenisation.
- The oil phase and water phase should be heated separately to around 70-80oC
- Add the oil phase to the water phase in a slow stream while stirring, then homogenise for a couple of minutes (using a stick blender, keeping it at the bottom of the bowl to avoid introducing too much air)
- Keep stirring gently (a balloon whisk is good to use) while it cools and thickens (an ice bath can help)
- It is best avoid adding the water phase to the oil phase while stirring – this is because it may lead to the formation of a W/O formulation that, when cool, can become unstable and separate.
- If you do need to add the water phase to the oil phase, do so without stirring and once you have added it, then go ahead and homogenise with a stick blender